Part 1: Story Analysis
First, read this article from today’s Washington Post (Links to an external site.). The title of the piece is “As a food writer with Covid, I worried I’d lose my sense of taste. It turned out to be much worse.” The writer is Tim Carman.
Once you have finished the story, to a journalistic writer’s analysis of the piece, making sure that you touch on the following topics:
- How does the headline fit the general theme of the story?
- Does the writer use a DEK, and what effect does this have?
- Does the writer use a summary lead? What effect does this have on the story?
- Does the writer ever use the first person in the story, and what does this do?
- What role does language play in the story? Cite some specific examples where the language really works.
- What are the three main themes the story drives home — the three “main points”?
- How do the visuals work in the story? What types of visual media are present here and what do they do?
- How do the advertisements work with the story — are the intrusive? Did they distract you? Did you want to purchase their products? How did you react to them?
Part 2: Progress Report on Photo Essay
Tell us how you are doing on your photo essay assignment. What challenges and obstacles have you faced and how are you dealing with them? Have you conducted all your interviews? What kind of research are you doing to add some factual muscle to the story?